Find Another Owner Tip Sheet
TELL IT! (don’t sell it)
To grow our ownership and open our community owned grocery store, we ask you to share your story and invite like-minded folks who relate to our values:
- Promote and foster better food choices
- Cultivate and strengthen our local economy
- Inspire and empower community
- Champion environmentally responsible practices
Tell it! online in an email, a Facebook update, a Tweet or by posting a photo to Instagram.
Consider, virtually in person by throwing a Zoom party! We can help and make a guest appearance to give a quick presentation and answer questions.
Here are some core messaging ideas in two simple steps
Step 1: Fill in the blank: My co-op is ____ because
Step 2: Write 3 ending statements:
My co-op is ____
because A: ____
because B: ____
because C: ____
Example: My co-op is the real change we need
- because it supports local farmers!
- because it supports local farmers and is owned by the community!
- because it supports local farmers, is owned by the community, and will provide the foundation for local resilience initiatives!
Sample Subject Lines
Use these or be creative and have fun!
- "Why I Became a Food Shed Co-op Owner"
- "Become an Owner of Food Shed Co-op with me"
- "I just helped to start a food co-op"
- "I’m building a shed -a Food Shed!"
[Insert your own greeting.]
I know you [and ______] are interested in [organic food / gardening / Farmer's Markets / local food / etc.] and I wanted to share some information about a start-up food co-op that needs our help to open soon. The Food Shed Co-op is a community-owned grocery store and [Iam / _______ and I are] so [excited / proud / thrilled / etc.] to have become [a] Founding Owner[s]. The Food Shed Co-op has purchased land right on RT 14 [describe the best way they may know exactly where] and is planning to build a community-owned grocery store focused on local and organic food, which will offer a unique grocery experience unlike anything else here locally.
The Food Shed will differ from traditional grocery stores in several important ways. Imagine a grocery store that...
- Sells fresh food from local farmers
- Keeps profits in the local community
- Clearly labels its products
- Has healthy, natural food and meals for your family
- Educates our community about healthy living
- Gives back to the community
[I/_____ and I] became [a] Founding Owner[s] because . . . [fill in reasons why you became an Owner.] If you are as [excited] as I think you'll be, [I/_____ and I] would love if you would join [me / us] as a Founding Owner.
Please check it out our very informative website at www.foodshed.coop
And forward to anyone else that may be interested. Let us be the change we want to see!